Wednesday, November 12, 2014

My Biggest Wire Wrapping Critic

Wire Wrapping Critics

My best (or perhaps worst depending on how you look at it) critic is my Son Tom. When I hand him a finished piece he points out every little error, every slight asymetry when I go to great lengths to make my pieces asymetrical, and any small mark my tools may have left on the wires. As I try to explain to him, a little of me goes into everything I make. A little artistry, perhaps even a little personality. I am not a machine that can recreate anything perfectly. I make unique, hand made jewellery. 

Every gemstone I use is different and has to be as they have all been created by mother nature herself. I feel that this has a certain value that mass produced items do not. If your goal is to make your own jewellery everything you make will be special. Anyone can buy a string of gems, put a catch on it and call it hand made and they will be able to make it over and over again. Developing your own style is important so as you do not get lost and confused with every other jewellery maker but when you are just starting out you will need to copy patterns almost slavishly to learn the techniques you will need for the future but do not make a habit of it. Make the designs your own. Improve them wherever you can and make things in your own style. 

We all stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before us to one degree or another but before you know it you will be creating your own designs.


No comments:

Post a Comment